The House of Merchant Vinogradov next to the Krutitskoe courtyard has been listed as a cultural heritage site of regional significance. This one-storey wooden building with a bay window and a brick basement is decorated with a refined carved cornice, edged with dentils, and a kokoshnik-shaped gable.
This house dates back to the late 19th century. It was built in 1880 by an unknown architect. The building construction was ordered by Dmitry Vinogradov, a Moscow 2nd Guild Merchant. He owned an iron foundry together with his brother and father. In 1835, Dmitry Vinogradov launched production of construction machinery and equipment for finishing (processing) and repair of silk, woollen and cotton fabrics. Until 1917, the house belonged to the merchant’s family. In Soviet times, it was turned into a block of flats.
"The House of Merchant Vinogradov is a unique piece of wooden architecture, typical of the Krutitsy District. Unfortunately, there very few wooden houses not only in this area, but in Moscow as a whole. Interestingly, the House of Vinogradov has preserved its original look until present times. Both architectural appearance of the building and its internal layout have almost completely survived with the carved decoration and the roof with dormer windows being of great value. The only thing that has been lost during almost a century and a half of the building's history is a porch overlooking the Novospassky Proyezd," said Head of the Moscow Cultural Heritage Department Alexei Yemelyanov.
He added that the merchant's house in the 2nd Krutitsky Pereulok is now protected by the state, since it has been listed a regional cultural heritage site. It means that any alteration in this landmark’s historical appearance is prohibited and any restoration must be approved and supervised by the Moscow Cultural Heritage Department.
There is an ongoing program in place to preserve and restore Moscow’s architectural landmarks. The cultural heritage list is regularly updated. Over the past seven years alone, about 700 monuments have been added. They include over 370 newly discovered cultural heritage sites and about 330 cultural heritage landmarks of federal and regional significance.
So, for example, a building with a pharmacy in Malaya Bronnaya Street has recently been recognized as an architectural landmark. This six-storey neoclassical building was erected in 1913. It had rented apartments, as well as shops and workshops downstairs. Over a century ago, there was a pharmacy on the first floor. It is remarkable that the pharmacy has survived.
The register of cultural heritage sites of regional importance also includes Kalinovskaya's revenue house with its asymmetrical facade and firebirds over the windows. The five-storey building was erected in 1911 by architect Ernst-Richard Niernsee in late art Nouveau style.
In addition, a two-storey building of the Culture Centre of National Research Centre ''Kurchatov Institute'' is recognized as an architectural monument. It is a piece of Soviet monumental classicism built in the late 1940s.