House with pharmacy on Malaya Bronnaya Street recognised as architectural monument

House with pharmacy on Malaya Bronnaya Street recognised as architectural monument
The six-storey neoclassical building was built in 1913. Rented apartments occupied the upper storeys of the building, with shops and workshops below. Over a century ago, a pharmacy was opened on the ground floor and, remarkably, it is still operating.

The former tenement building on Malaya Bronnaya Street has been added to the regional cultural heritage registry. The six-storey neoclassical building, designed by Sigizmund Vulfson, was erected in 1913. It is a typical example of an early 20th-century tenement buildings. The ground floor accommodated a confectionery, a pharmacy and a knitting workshop. The upper floors housed rented apartments and offices. Currently, the building is still residential and the pharmacy remains where it was more than a century ago.

The facades are neoclassical. Their central parts as well as the corner of the building that overlooks the crossroads are decorated with three-faceted bay windows. They are capped by attics (decorative walls) with mascarons at the fifth storey level. Between the third and the fourth floors, the bay windows are decorated with bas-reliefs depicting horns of plenty.

“The building is located at the intersection of Malaya Bronnaya Street and Spiridonyevsky Pereulok. It is one of the dominating structures in the vicinity of Patriarshiye Ponds. The building is also remarkable for a project carried out at the tenants’ initiative in the 2010s, restoring historic 1920s signboards carrying the names of the entities then housed in the building – a dental practice, a student cooperatives’ office and the pharmacies,” said Head of the Moscow Department of Cultural Heritage Alexei Yemelyanov.

Tenement building. 1913. Architect Sigizmund Vulfson. 1973–1975

At the ground floor level, the facades are plastered and rusticated. Upper storeys facades are clad in glazed bricks. Some windows on the fourth floor and the oval window above the main entrance at the first floor level are decorated with floral stucco mouldings. The main entrance is also adorned with stucco work.

Some components of the original interior decor have survived to the present day. Fancy stair railings and mosaic tiles on the floor can be found in the main entrance hall.

Sigizmund Vulfson was a Soviet architect and a member of the Moscow Architectural Society. In 1928, he was on the faculty of the Workers Department at the Institute of People’s Economy. His design projects include the building of K. Bem’s Partnership in Meshchansky District (1908) and a tenement building on Chistoprudny Boulevard (1913).

The maintenance work and restoration of architectural landmarks is an ongoing process in Moscow. The list of cultural heritage sites is constantly growing. Over the last seven years alone, around 700 monuments have been listed. They include more than 370 newly discovered cultural heritage sites and around 330 cultural heritage sites of federal and regional importance.

One example is the culture centre of the Kurchatov Institute National Research Centre, which has been listed as a regional cultural heritage site. The two-storey Soviet Classicism building was constructed in the late 1940s. The building of former Kindergarten No. 333 in Shchukino District, dubbed a ‘kindergarten with small elephants,’ has also been made a listed building. It was built in the 1930s for the children of employees of the People's Commissariat for Defence. It combines elements of two architectural styles – constructivism and Stalinist art deco. Its grounds have a leisure lagoon with four elephant sculptures.