Glavarkhiv tells about the creation of a veterinary ambulance in Moscow
After the First World War and the subsequent revolutions, the veterinary business was severely lacking in financial and human resources. But since the mid-1920s, with the opening of new specialized educational institutions and improvement of old ones, the situation began to change. This was largely facilitated by the creation of collective and state farms where farm animals were bred. The Glavarkhiv documents of the preserved information about the development of veterinary affairs at that time.
In the 1930s, the number of veterinary workers grew rapidly. If in 1925-1926 there were only about four thousand veterinarians in the USSR, then in 1932 there were twice as many, and in 1940 their number approached 11 thousand. By 1940, the veterinary network had grown seven times compared to the pre-revolutionary level and consisted of more than four thousand veterinary sites, 12 thousand points, about 300 city veterinary clinics and 700 veterinary and bacteriological laboratories.
The quality of work also improved. Since the beginning of the 1930s, universities began to train veterinarians in subspecialties. For example, For example, epizootologists who dealt with infectious diseases and veterinarians who specialize in large and small domestic animals were trained.
In 1936, the Veterinary Charter was adopted, which defined the main tasks of the state in this field. One of the main aims was the fight against epizootics - infectious diseases of domestic animals. Due to this, rinderpest was eliminated, and vaccination campaigns against anthrax, foot-and-mouth disease and other diseases were carried out on a large scale.
The goal of the veterinary medicine development was to reduce the animals death, for which it was necessary to provide assistance as soon as possible. For this purpose, in 1940, on the basis of the decision of the Moscow City Executive Committee, a veterinary ambulance service was created in the capital. It appeared at the Oktyabrskaya veterinary polyclinic and was engaged in the round-the-clock transportation of sick animals. Initially, the ambulance had two cars and 17 specialists (four veterinarians, four paraveterinary workers, three veterinary nurses, five drivers and a head veterinarian).
The creation of emergency veterinary care served as the basis for the further development of the capital veterinary service. Over time, it became more and more mobile, which made it possible to immediately provide assistance to sick animals.
"Today, 11 special vehicles are operating in the capital to provide emergency veterinary care. This is not just a means of transportation for veterinarians, but veterinary mini-clinics on wheels. They are equipped with all the necessary modern equipment for diagnosis and treatment. The veterinarians can make home care vaccinations, conduct laboratory tests and simple surgical operations. If the pet needs a more serious examination, it will be taken to the clinic. In addition, special vehicles are used to provide veterinary assistance to guide dogs. Twice a year, specialists come to the assistant pets to conduct a preventive examination, " in the press service of the Moscow Veterinary Committee was told.