Plaster frieze and vases on the rooftop: restoration of the Embassy of Chile building completed
Restoration of the Embassy of the Republic of Chile is completed. The two-storey mansion with a basement and an entresol has regained its appearance of the early 20th century. Restorers have recreated lost plaster decoration on the facades, and upgraded the roof and the fence.
The building in Denezhny Pereulok was erected in 1910-1912 by architect Adolf Zeligson and belonged to Anzhelika and German Broido. They used to buy out plots of city land and build turnkey mansions and revenue houses for sale.
Construction of the building started in 1910. Shortly after, it was bought out by Viktorin Burdakov, a Ural gold producer and philanthropist, and it was him to complete the construction. The mansion had 20 rooms, including the owner's flat. In the early 20th century, the building had a parapet with pillars and vases on the roof, which made it look like a French Palace in miniature. The facade under the cornice had a plaster frieze (decorative belt) with a floral pattern. These elements have been lost over time.
Experts consider this mansion one of the brightest Art Nouveau pieces, with a plenty of details in decoration and layout speaking for it. In particular, an entresol built over the central part of the building. Three arch windows on the front facade are decorated with an ornamented plaster frieze. The mansion features the typical Art Nouveau asymmetry. The main entrance is not in the centre, but on the left side of the facade. It has a round window above, that is also a typical Art Nouveau feature. Another unusual window with curved glazing pattern is on the right side of the facade, once having an oval-shaped living room behind it.
‘During the restoration works, experts have restored all the lost decorative details according to historical documents and renovated those that have survived. These are window architraves, a plaster Greek key frieze, as well as cornices and pilasters. The roof and drainage system have been repaired, and the brickwork reinforced, too. Restorers have recreated and painted the plaster layer on the facades. By the way, before the restoration, the building was grey-and-blue. Now the mansion is painted its historical yellow colour, and it looks now just like it was designed by the architect Adolf Zeligson,' said Head of the Moscow Cultural Heritage Department Alexei Yemelyanov.
The former Broido-Burdakov revenue house is a cultural heritage site of regional significance. Since the 1960s, the mansion has been occupied by the Embassy of Chile. All restoration works have been carried out according to the project approved by the Moscow Cultural Heritage Department and supervised by the Department's experts.
Adolf Zeligson (1867-1919) was a Moscow architect and engineer born in Poland. At the beginning of his career, he worked in Łódź (Poland), then in St. Petersburg and Paris, and from 1907 in Moscow. There he started to implement then-popular Art Nouveau concepts to become one of the best architects in this style. He was engaged in building revenue houses, mansions and banks. There are quite a few buildings erected under Adolf Zeligson's management, including Greenberg revenue house (9 Armyansky Pereulok), Basmanny Company's revenue house (10 Novaya Basmannaya Street), the building of Azovsko-Donskoy Bank (9/2 Ilyinka Street), Mecca revenue house (6 Chisty Pereulok).
Restoration and preservation of architectural monuments is one of priorities of the Moscow Cultural Heritage Department. So, the restoration of the facades on the Embassy of Brazil's building is almost finished. The Neo-Russian mansion in Bolshaya Nikitskaya Street was built in 1876 for Anna Lopatina, the wife of a hereditary merited citizen. Restoration of the building's interiors is expected to be completed in 2020.
Over the past eight years, more than 1,200 heritage sites have been restored in Moscow.
The restoration of the Andrei Sytin's estate, a one-storey wooden house built on a stone foundation of the late 17th century, has been recently completed. It covers 683.3 sq m. This is one of the few urban housing pieces in Moscow built before the fire of 1812.
In March, the restoration of the interiors of the Church of the Resurrection of the Word in Uspensky Vrazhek was finished, with 40 unique wall and vault paintings restored. Experts have also recreated ornaments on the walls and two cherub medallions above the windows.
The restoration of the former summer house of merchants and manufacturers on Leningradsky Prospekt is to launch anytime soon. The building was erected in the first third of the 19th century in the neoclassical style.