The main building of the Shubins' Moscow estate in Malaya Dmitrovka Street built in the 19th century is expected to have a large-scale restoration. The project of restoration works has been coordinated with the Moscow Cultural Heritage Department.
A two-storey building with an entresol was built in eclectic style. In the early 1830s, this house was occupied by a member of the Patriotic War of 1812, Decembrist Mikhail Orlov. Poets Alexander Pushkin and Yevgeny Baratynsky visited him once in a while.
In the mid-19th century, the mansion housed educational institutions, a drawing school, and later a women's gymnasium. In the early 20th century, it was turned into a revenue house with apartments for rent.
"The mansion of the former Moscow estate of the Shubins is a typical piece of eclectic style. Despite the fact that during its more than two hundred years’ history the building had been rebuilt several times, it has retained its original composition and the front facade's decoration. Its facade has decorative moulded friso with alternating lyres and vases, and moulded diamond patterns with floral decor. Rectangular windows of the second floor have high reliefs (three-dimensional and convex images) shaped as female heads," commented Alexei Yemelyanov, Head of the Moscow Cultural Heritage Department.
The Shubins' Moscow estate located at 12/2 Malaya Dmitrovka Street, is a cultural heritage site of regional significance, so all restoration works shall be approved by Moscow Cultural Heritage Department.
According to Alexei Yemelyanov, the experts will reinforce the brickwork, restore damaged plaster work and plaster mouldings during the restoration. After the historical documents, they will restore a central balcony once lost and replace window blocks and doors. Decorative balcony consoles will also be recreated. To complete the restoration, the facades are to be painted and covered with a special protective layer. Inside the mansion, experts will restore plaster mouldings, columns and ceiling paintings, with floor parquet panelling renovated. In addition, they will replace the drainage system and utilities, upgrade the roof and its supporting structures.
The history of the estate dates back to 1815. At that time, it belonged to the noble family of the Shubins. At their request, new manor facilities were built on the site of wooden buildings burned down in 1812. The first floor of the mansion was built of brick, with the second floor and the entresol made of wood. According to the fashion of that time, the main building facades were plastered and decorated with plaster mouldings in the Empire style. The main building facade has a portico with six columns and asymmetric avant-corps (decorative protrusions). The building's designer is unknown.
In the 1890s, the house was rebuilt after an architect Alexander Nisselson's design. So, the classical portico was removed from the front facade, and replaced with three balconies on decorative consoles with openwork metal fence. They were located at the second floor level: one in the central part of the building (now lost) and the other two survived on both sides. In the early 20th century, by order of the new estate's owner, the building interiors were renovated, and the premises were divided into several flats to rent. Architect Sergei Zharov was in charge of the rich interior decoration, with magnificent plaster mouldings on cornices and sockets, and painted ceilings. The front facade remained intact.
After the October Revolution, the mansion housed the Moscow Institute of Journalism. In 1927, after the Institute moved to another building, the house became residential again, it had communal flats. Its finishing made in the late 19th century was partially lost.
Restoration and preservation of architectural monuments is one of priorities of the Moscow Department of Cultural Heritage. Over the past eight years, more than 1,200 architectural monuments have been restored in the city. Recently, the former 18th – 19th-century residential house of a city estate in Denezhny Pereulok has been renovated, an outstanding example of classical architecture in Moscow. Last December, restoration of the Durasov House, built in the late 18th century according to the design of architect Matvey Kazakov, was completed on Pokrovsky Boulevard.
This year, the facades of the building in Lesnaya Street now hosting the museum 'Underground Printing House of 1905–1906', as well as the house of Pavel Shchapov built in 1867 have been restored. Besides, there are works underway in Vsevolozhsky Mansion in Khamovniki Distric, once visited by Pushkin, Gogol and Belinsky. The building's restoration is expected to be completed in 2021.