The architectural ensemble of the former Filaret Diocesan Women's School has been listed as a cultural heritage site of regional significance. The ensemble includes a three-storey school building at 6/1 Bolshoi Kozlovsky Pereulok, two two-storey wings at 5 Maly Kharitonyevsky Pereulok (buildings 1 and 2), a fence with stone pillars (decorative columns) and patterned metal bars between them. Back in 1877–1883, Anton Chekhov's sister Maria received her secondary education here. She devoted her life to preservation and publishing of the writer's creative heritage.
"The ensemble of the Filaret Diocesan Women's School buildings was built in 1864 by architect Alexander Vivien. Eclectic-style school building and residential wings for students combine different trends — from classicism to baroque. There are flat avant-corps and windows with framed cases and panels (rectangular frames). Around the perimeter, the facades are decorated with friezes — decorative horizontal stripes. Tthe centre of the school building front features main entrance with a colonnade," Head of the Moscow Cultural Heritage Department Alexei Yemelyanov said.
Filaret Diocesan Women's School was named after Metropolitan Filaretm its founder. Originally, orphans and daughters of poor clergymen aged 7 to 16 studied there. But later, children from merchant families were also enrolled as school students. Girls were taught reading, writing, arithmetic, history and other general subjects. After school, they studied dressmaking, knitting and housekeeping. Many graduates served as teachers at educational institutions in Moscow and Moscow region. After the Revolution of 1917, the ensemble came into possession of the Moscow Polytechnic School. In the 1930s, during the reconstruction of the school building, a part of the school church's altar protruding beyond the facade was dismantled. Presently, there are no traces of it left in the building's look.
"The status of a cultural heritage site provides state protection to the ensemble of the former Filaret Diocesan Women's School. It means that demolition of buildings and decorative fence is prohibited, and any restoration must be approved and supervised by the Moscow Cultural Heritage Department and our experts," Alexei Yemelyanov added.
There is an ongoing program in place to preserve and restore Moscow’s architectural landmarks. The cultural heritage list is regularly updated. Over the past seven years alone, about 700 monuments have been added. They include over 370 newly discovered cultural heritage sites and about 330 cultural heritage landmarks of federal and regional significance.
The main building of the urban estate of the early 19th century in Dashkov Pereulok has been listed as a cultural heritage site of regional significance. This two-storey fenced stone mansion was built in classicism style as a typical example of Moscow residential development design of the early 19th century. The lane owes its name to Andrei Dashkov, Senator and State Councillor, who was one of the mansion's owners.
A building with a pharmacy in Malaya Bronnaya Street has recently been recognised as an architectural landmark. This six-storey neoclassical building was erected in 1913. It had rented apartments, as well as shops and workshops downstairs. Over a century ago, there was a pharmacy on the first floor. It is remarkable that the pharmacy has survived.
The register of cultural heritage sites of regional importance also includes Kalinovskaya's revenue house with its asymmetrical facade and firebirds over the windows. The five-storey building was erected in 1911 by architect Ernst-Richard Niernsee in late Art Nouveau style.