Revival of the estate: restoration of architectural monuments to start in Vorontsovsky Park

Revival of the estate: restoration of architectural monuments to start in Vorontsovsky Park
The restoration will take about a year.

The Moscow Cultural Heritage Department issued a permit for restoration of cultural heritage sites in Vorontsovsky Park. It will start in the Western and Eastern wings of the  Vorontsovo Estate of the 18th-19th centuries, and in the Southern administration building. The monuments are to regain their historical look by May 2020.

"Vorontsovsky Park is a favourite place for many Moscow residents. The beautiful monuments of the Vorontsovo Estate architecture have always been attracting attention of park visitors. The long-awaited restoration will start with two wings and one administration building. Schedules for future renovations of these buildings have been previously coordinated with our department. Also, we will supervise the entire restoration process,'' Head of the Moscow Cultural Heritage Department Alexei Yemelyanov said.

Facades and decor

Special focus is to be placed on restoration of the facades in both wings. Stone and brick decor is to be recreated, window and doorways are to be restored. Two porches, decorative tile stoves, chimneys and wooden roof will also be restored.

Experts will restore the dome with the goddess Fauna sculpture and columns. The Western wing (Northern facade) will get back its main entrance with internal open staircase recreated.

Ramps and emergency stairs will be installed in the buildings. All wooden elements will be covered with antiseptic. Restorers will update the MEP systems as well. The surrounding grounds are to be landscaped and improved. 

Estate’s history

Built in the 16th century, the estate reached its hey-day in the latter half of the 18th century. In those days, the estate became an integral architectural complex with a new main house, twin residential and administration wings, and a front entrance ensemble decorated with pseudo-Gothic elements. In 1812, the estate was burnt down and looted. Later, the buildings were restored.