The Shchusev State Museum of Architecture invites to visit the first monographic exhibition of Alexander Gegello’s works, an author of more than 100 implemented urban development designs, mainly of buildings constructed in Leningrad in 1920-1930s.
Alexander Gegello designed one of the first Soviet residential complexes for workers - standard buildings in Traktornaya Street. He revised classical architectural heritage, combined styles and created innovative constructivism-style designs. In addition, the architect was fond of painting, engraving and drawing, and it allowed him to use a variety of techniques to visualise his ideas. Gegello wrote that the architect must not only take into account the conditions of modern world, but also make out future hallmarks, and he fully complied with this requirement.
Technical Education House in Ivana Chernykh Street, a complex of buildings of the Botkin Hospital and the Gorky Culture Palace are among notable constructivist Gegello’s designs, for which the architect was awarded the Grand Prix at Paris World Exhibition in 1937.
The 'Alexander Gegello: between classics and constructivism' exhibition will be open from 19 April to 14 July. Its visitors will have an opportunity to view more than a hundred graphic works made by the architect, which had been preserved and donated to the Museum by his wife Nina. The architect’s drawings will complement historic photographs from the Federal Security Service archives in St. Petersburg.
In addition, one of the Museum halls is to feature full size semi-arch of a residential complex in Traktornaya Street.