The mansion in the 19th century city estate at Vspolny Pereulok has been added to the list of cultural heritage sites. It is a typical example of a residential building from the second half of the 19th century, eclectic with elements of classicism.
Architectural landmark status puts it under state protection: it is now forbidden to demolish it, and any repairs or restoration have to be coordinated with Moscow’s Department of Cultural Heritage and supervised by the department.
“The residential building on Vspolny Pereulok was erected in the 1860s, and the architectural and decorative look of the main facade has not changed. The interior of this building is of great historical and architectural value. The main staircase with balustrade, the stucco moldings with floral and geometric ornamentation, and three tiled stoves have all survived. During a restoration in the 1990s, one of the stoves was faced with modern tiles styled like the 19th century tiles. But the other two still have the original tiles with Kuznetsov factory stamps,” head of the department Alexei Yemelyanov said.
Originally a one-story wooden house on a stone foundation, the mansion was built when the property belonged to Vasily Bykov, a Moscow merchant of the second guild. In 1867, the second floor was added.
From 1900 to 1913, the estate housed the offices of Problems of Philosophy and Psychology, a journal edited by Russian idealist philosopher Nikolai Grot, a psychologist and full professor at Moscow University.
According to Yemelyanov, the building may later be included in the register of cultural heritage sites, after the required historical and cultural appraisal.