The building housing a dormitory, a kitchen and a canteen belonging to the Russian State Agrarian University – Moscow Timiryazev Agricultural Academy has been added to the list of newly discovered cultural heritage sites. It was built between 1886-1887 and is considered a fine example of 19th century urban eclecticism. The buildings are part of the historical complex of the Petrovskaya Academy of Agronomy and Forestry. It is the last of the academy’s old buildings to be declared an architectural landmark, which are protected by the government.
“The building housing a dormitory, a kitchen and a canteen is the last structure of the Timiryazev Academy to be declared a government protected property. All of the academy’s historical buildings are now officially protected. The academy’s four academic buildings were added to the list of newly discovered cultural heritage sites in late 2017, and eight buildings housing dormitories, management quarters and a club were listed in September 2018. Apart from their architectural value, these places also have memorial significance because they are associated with famous researchers and the events of the Great Patriotic War,” Head of the Cultural Heritage Department Alexei Yemelyanov pointed out.
This huge H- shaped three-storey brick building rises above the ground on a stone foundation. The façades of two of the side blocks face Timiryazevsky Proyezd to the east and Timiryazevskaya Street to the west. The three-sided ceremonial courtyard (cour d'honneur) is created by the main central block and the northern facades of the side blocks. Across from it is a small park where a bust of the famous forester Mitrofan Tursky was placed in the early 20th century.
The building, its layout and decorative parts have been mostly preserved intact, along with many parts of the interior decorations such as the central staircase constructed from white and pink marble as well as the ceiling mouldings and doors by the stairs. The interior layout is typical for a place where there are dormitories with long corridors and rooms with one or two windows on each side.
Famous scientists, including fertilizer expert Dmitry Pryanishnikov and land reclamation scientist Alexei Kostyakov, as well as the workers of the academy’s botanical gardens, arboretum and the Forest (Lesnaya) experimental station, lived in that dormitory.