Antiquity and neoclassicism: Tenement property on Bolshaya Ordynka Street becomes architectural landmark

Antiquity and neoclassicism: Tenement property on Bolshaya Ordynka Street becomes architectural landmark
Built in a neoclassical style, the building has architectural fine points inspired by Antiquity, including pilasters (flattened columns against the wall), low-reliefs with decorative details, bay windows and a pediment crowning the roof.

The residential building at 9/4-2 Bolshaya Ordynka Street has been assigned the status of a regional architectural landmark. It was designed by architect Kapitoly Dulin (1836–1933) and built in 1915 as a tenement property with comfortable flats.

This building exemplifies an early 20th century tenement property, and has a neoclassical style inspired by Antiquity. Decorative details are focused on the building’s central part with a colonnade consisting of paired Corinthian and Ionic columns and pilasters, as well as reliefs featuring Antique characters. This composition is supplemented by Antique decorations on the sixth floor. The outside of the building has a classic horizontal frieze (decorative section), while fancy flowerpots are used to stress visual vertical lines.

“The building faces Chernigovsky Pereulok, but can be seen from Pyatnitskaya Street. The architect decided to use this location when he designed the building. The small Chernigovsky Pereulok starts from Pyatnitskaya Street, and at the place where it makes a turn the architect decided to build a six-story tenement property that would be seen directly from Pyatnitskaya Street. The front design was very important for the architect, who decided to give it a neoclassical appearance by balancing statics and dynamics in its composition and proportions,” Head of Moscow’s Department of Cultural Heritage Alexei Yemelyanov said.

Inside, the building has an unusual layout design, as another testimony of the architect’s proficiency. He took into consideration the small size of the plot of land available for construction and designed a T-shaped building. This allowed him to create flats with more windows and to make sure that the building was not too close to the adjacent multi-story blocks of flats.

According to Alexei Yemelyanov, the building has been preserved in such a way that both the exterior and the interior look like they originally were. The interior features details along the grand staircase and the service stairs, made out of natural stone. These decorations include metal grating taking on the form of harps, which rhymes with the Antique motives on the front of the building.

Being assigned the status of a regional cultural landmark means that the Bolshaya Ordynka building is now protected by the state. It cannot be demolished, and its historical appearance must be preserved. Any repair or restoration work is subject to approval and oversight by the Moscow Department of Cultural Heritage.

Moscow is engaged in an ongoing effort to preserve and restore its architectural landmarks, with new buildings regularly added to the list. Over the past seven years, some 700 structures were assigned conservation status, including 370 newly identified cultural landmarks, and about 330 landmarks with federal or regional conservation status. Another tenement property , the Schnaubert city mansion, built in the 18th-19th century on Khokhlovsky Pereulok, was recently granted conservation status covering three buildings: the mansion’s main five-story building, as well as two one-story buildings along its perimeter that were used by servants and guards.

In June 2018, the early 19th century Krasheninnikovs’ residential building, a three-story stone structure with a cellar, in Kozhevnicheskaya Street was recognised as an architectural landmark with regional conservation status.

In addition to all this, a town mansion in Starokirochny Pereulok dating back to the 18th and 19th century was also assigned the status of an architectural landmark with regional conservation status. The mansion consists of the main two-story building, a guard’s lodge, and a stone wall with a gate.