In 2017, a street, a hospital and a blood transfusion station will be named after three Moscow doctors.
A street in northern Moscow will receive the name of a founder of reconstructive and plastic surgery, Boris Petrovsky. This street is 700-metre-long Planned Street No. 6368, situated between Margelov Street and 2nd Botkinsky Pereulok, and there are no buildings with addresses. The Botkin City Hospital is located nearby.
A blood transfusion station of the Department of Healthcare in Polikarpov Street in the Northern Administrative Area will be named after another famous doctor, hematologist Oleg Gavrilov. He was the first to define transfusiology as a scientific discipline. He initiated research to develop artificial blood substitutes.
City Hospital No. 3 of the Department of Healthcare in Zelenograd will bear the name of clinician Maxim Konchalovsky, the founder of the school of internal disease treatment and prevention. In 2012, City Hospital No. 63 was named after him, but a year later, the hospital merged with Pirogov City Hospital No. 1 and lost its name.
Initiatives to honour the memory of prominent Moscow doctors with the names of medical institutions were put forward by the Department of Healthcare. They were approved at a meeting of the City Interdepartmental Naming Commission chaired by Deputy Moscow Mayor Leonid Pechatnikov.
Boris Petrovsky (1908-2004) was a prominent Soviet and Russian surgeon, scientist, teacher and expert in reconstructive and plastic surgery. Between 1965 and 1980, he served as the Healthcare Minister of the USSR. He founded one of the largest scientific surgical schools. Among his students were 150 Doctors of Sciences, 70 of whom head clinics and major in-patient facilities. In 2011, a stamp devoted to Boris Petrovsky was issued in Russia.
Oleg Gavrilov (1922-2008) was a Soviet and Russian scientist, hematologist, academician at the Russian Academy of Medical Sciences and Doctor of Medicine. He began the first research to develop artificial blood substitutes.
Maxim Konchalovsky (1875-1942) was a Soviet and Russian doctor, famous clinician and founder of the school of internal disease treatment. His brother is painter Pyotr Konchalovsky.