The edifice at 3 Petrovka Street, building 2, known as Khomyakov’s commercial building, has been included on the list of cultural heritage sites.
The building dates from 1899-1900 and was the work of architects Illarion Ivanov-Schitz and Maxim Geppener. It is a prime example of a multifunctional turn-of-the century apartment building.
Khomyakov’s apartments gain architectural heritage status. Moscow Mayor’s official site
The building was designed with a number of spacious rooms that could be fitted out for rent as residential, commercial or office premises. “On the first floor was the office of trading house G. Volkov and Sons, while Muir & Mirrielees had their furniture department and accessories department on the second and third floors, and some of the rooms were rented out as comfortable apartments,” said Alexei Yemelyanov, head of the Moscow Cultural Heritage Department.
The building’s occupants at various times included opera singer Nikolai Shevelyov, actors at the MKhAT Theatre Leonid Leonov and Mikhail Bolduman, and geologist and geographer Vladimir Obruchev.
Another two floors were added to the four-storey building in the 1930s. The crowning parapets, attics and some of the decorative details that graced the original façade were lost as a result. The entryway from the Kuznetsky Most side still retains part of the original finishing.
The USSR River Fleet Ministry occupied the building once the reconstruction work was completed, succeeded by the Russian State River Fleet Service. Statesman and USSR People’s Commissar for the River Fleet Zosima Shashkov, who is commemorated with a plaque installed on the building’s façade, worked here.